27 January 2013

get back

http://www.vernavogel.com/get-back/

Got four large-ish paintings back from one of my galleries today, which I intend to re-work a bit.
In these older pieces I was playing with the idea of allowing the raw, unpainted canvas to show rather than “hiding” the stitching under layers of paint.  Show the stitching process, keep the painting process very minimal kind of thing.  
Here’s a link to the first raw canvas piece I made, in 2011.  
After that one, I made some more - remember these?

spatial-awareness
Out Of Sound, 51x45 inches

spatial awareness
Sky Light, 45x51 inches

spatial awareness
Horizons, 62x35 inches

spatial awareness
Connection, 62x25 inches

Problem is, raw canvas is pretty much all the same colour.  When I was making these paintings, the colour of the canvas became quite a challenge: how to work with this predominant beige – how to keep things simple but interesting?

I spent part of 2012 working on how to keep the raw canvas look while making the finished paintings more visually appealing.  I called this body of work “Spatial Awareness”, because keeping some of the raw canvas visible while creating a dynamic painting required a much more thoughtful approach to the underlying composition of each one, since I didn’t want the option of simply covering up visual discrepancies.  

Here’s a link to some of those efforts.

So now the plan with these returned works is to, yes indeed, cover up some of that raw canvas colour!  I still want to maintain the original idea of carefully considered space and minimal colour – just not the same same same raw canvas beige.  The changes I intend will be simple but (hopefully) effective.
Wish me luck!  :)

No comments: