03 June 2015

receive and send

Before I begin with the art news, allow me to show you this beautiful wildflower bouquet, comprised partly of garden plants (columbine, poppy leaves, arugula flowers) and partly of plain old weeds (grasses, violets, dandelions, and other nameless things)  Is it not wonderful?



One might say I receive the beauty of the weeds, and try my best to send some beauty back into the world.


The same day I composed that delicious bouquet, I received something else: a few older works back from one of my galleries.  I'm glad to see this painting again:

verna vogel Precipitate
Precipitate
mixed media and stitching on canvas
45 x 51 inches

The title is interesting as this painting was made on the eve of a tidal change in my work.

There's a lot I like about "Precipitate" as it is, but now seeing it again after two years I can imagine some improvements.  It is from a series of works I made where I left quite a bit of the raw, unpainted canvas showing.  In this particular piece, I think there may be too much of that same raw canvas colour, so I may adjust the top portion a bit.

Between taking in older work and preparing newer work to send out, my studio can get a bit cluttered:

steel sky woman
before
verna vogel studio
after
Ah, that's all nice and tidy now.  Hey, aren't artists supposed to be messy, creative geniuses working in hives of clutter?  *laughs*  Not this artist, apparently - at least, not all the time.

verna vogel paintings
9 large and 55 small paintings
arrived at CKG gallery

verna vogel paintings

I'm really excited that my work is now being represented by CKG here in Calgary!  The people at CKG are wonderful, the space is beautiful, and they have some exciting out-of-the-box ideas about promoting the gallery and artists.

It's been a year and a half since I've worked with a local gallery.  During that time my work has evolved quite a bit.  First the Multiples, and now the new Ellipse series have taken me wholly into the world of pure abstraction.

I've really felt that I'm going out on a limb in making these purely abstract works.  Going out on a creative limb is exciting and invigorating! ... but the potential of a parallel financial limb can be stressful.  This is something to consider when making artwork for one's living. I wouldn't have it any other way, though.  

After periods of darkness there is always light.

5 comments:

A. Beaverhousen said...

Such a good post. The desire to be financially secure by whatever means feels like an unending battle, especially if you are a creative. A part of you will always feel not fully of the corporate world and desire to exist purely for creating. Some can juggle both, some excel one way while other fail. Myself, I have fallen in love with my art as a secret lover. I only want to share it when I want to, to those that I want and to create it when I want to hear my lover speak to me but that leaves me broke. But that is okay at least for this phase of my life and relationship with creating. Maybe the next phase will bring a marriage that produces financial children. I commend you because you persevered and really that is the key....you have to be willing and ready to continue the path even when you feel empty, deflated, stuck, broke, tired or even invigorated and full of ideas without any expectation to succeed but just to create. I find success in all forms comes in a serendipitous manner. - Cina

pdcrumbaker said...

Such a pleasure to see both old and new works. When I win the lottery, I'll be first in line to add something to my Verna Vogel collection!

Verna Vogel said...

Thank you both so much for your comments!

Cina: Well, this is one reason I never had kids, I didn't want to compromise my work for the financial stability needed to raise children without undue stress. As I get older, I sometimes wonder whether some of the sacrifices I've made were worth it... but only sometimes. :)

This is perfect: "... you have to be willing and ready to continue the path even when you feel empty, deflated, stuck, broke, tired or even invigorated and full of ideas without any expectation to succeed but just to create." I'd say this attitude applies to raising kids too. In fact, I've often thought that raising kids is a kind of ultimate form of art!

P.D.: Oh you are so sweet! I'm already honoured that you have a couple of my pieces, so cool to know my work has made it all the way down to Florida*! But hey, if you win the lottery, let me know and we'll work something out. ;)

Myself, I'm envisioning a slow, measured and very positive response to the new "Ellipse" series. The brief skyrocket of success already happened years ago and it was mostly very uncomfortable. This time around I'm aiming for the gradual buildup. Financially speaking, I've got a just bit of leeway yet... *laughs*

* and all the way to Philly too!

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Verna,

Love the bouquet and the older work. I have great fondness for that one. Isn't it strange how we keep wanting to change the work if it comes back to us. Congratulations on the new gallery! I'm very impressed with your tidy space.

XOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Verna Vogel said...

Thank you Barbara!

Sometimes I wonder if the desire to rework older paintings stems from our very human desire to change the past... or at least re-word it! *laughs*