31 July 2015

slow and fast

Slow:

The "oil drying wall" is in the part of my studio with the lowest ceiling and most uneven wall space.  A good place for slow drying.

sound

Above, under the cool overhead studio light.
Below, warm lighting from one side.

sound

I find it useful to have different lighting options in my studio.

sound


Fast:

While the oil layers dry I begin a new series of acrylic paintings, using some pieces of canvas given to me a few years ago.  The pieces already had some paint on them.  Sometimes I really enjoy working with someone else's cast-off things, because beginning with an aesthetic that did not originate from myself is a good creative stretch.

meninx

First I stained over the painted canvas pieces to vary the colour.  Then I applied colour washes to some larger pieces cut from one of my canvas rolls.

meninx

Lay out the smaller pieces on top of the larger, and the thing looks like a quilt!

Stitch patterns into the smaller pieces, then stitch the smaller onto the larger pieces.  Stretch them and paint the edges, and:

meninx

Those are the first two.  I'm not entirely pleased with them yet.  The edge colours are off.  The proportions of the edge colours are off.  
Whenever I work like this, it's the edges that take the most time to resolve!  *laughs*  

In contrast, the stitched part of this type of image is almost effortless for me.  Although I do take some care in choosing the thread and the small coloured bits, I don't draw anything out before stitching.  I basically just let the sewing machine do it.  

meninx

It's like automatic drawing, a technique developed by the Surrealists wherein the drawing is done without conscious self-censorship.

meninx

I'm setting up to make 24 of these little paintings, each measuring 12x12 inches.  When I need a break from them, I will turn to the oil paintings and add more layers.  It's good to have several things on the go at once.

Until next time,

:)
V

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Holy cow -- such a lot of work, and the sewing isn't the part that worries you! I am blown away by what you've done so far. You girl have energy to burn. I also love it that it's the edges that worry you. Mdr as they say in France (Morte de rire -- died laughing). You amaze and astound, delight and impress me.

Super,

XOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Verna Vogel said...

*laughs* Thank you Barbara!

Yes, they are a lot of work, but it's fun work as I get to play with colour variations, and since I make them in series, so many at once, none of them is precious, which is very freeing. The edges, though - they are the last finishing bit, and you know how the last touches can make or break a painting...!

Mdr - I've got to remember that.

:)
V