02 January 2018

Tension : No Tension

It's 2018!

Tension : No Tension  has been up at Artpoint Gallery for just over a month now.  My intention was to create an initial installation, and then spend some time re-imagining it over the two months that it's in the gallery.

Here's a link to my website showing images of the first string drawings made during December 2017.

Below, a couple of videos of the work:

 
hanging out in the corner

shadows on a curved wall

verna vogel string art installation at Artpoint, Upstairs Gallery   Dec 2017 - Jan 2018
The very first string drawing.  It has now been removed...

verna vogel string art installation at Artpoint, Upstairs Gallery   Dec 2017 - Jan 2018
... and replaced with another.
This is most recent string drawing, made on New Year's eve.


For many years I kept a ritual of making art over the turn of the year.  I did this out of fear that I would not be able to continue making art in my life; my thinking was to make art the last and first thing I did every year, as a way of staying on track.

This year, I felt the need to revisit my old ritual.  2017 was intense, with more projects and exhibitions than I've ever had in one year, plus quite a lot of teaching.  Not a bad life!  But in the back of my mind a growing feeling of being a tad unmoored by it all, of not spending enough time in contemplation and creation.

I'm not sure what 2018 will hold, but I would like to spend more time in my studio.  Revisiting my New Year's eve ritual may help to keep me focused on that.

verna vogel string art installation at Artpoint, Upstairs Gallery   Dec 2017 - Jan 2018

Happy 2018 to you, dear Reader.  I think it's gonna be a good one.  :)


4 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Happy New Year! Wonderful work. I understand that end of year, start of year feeling!

XOXOXOXO Barbara

Unknown said...

I love watching your work evolve. I appreciate that you have kept your connection to fiber either by sewing or doing string drawings.

Verna Vogel said...

Happy New Year to you too Barbara! Yep, we all get that feeling at least once I suppose :)

Love your work and spirit, always xoxoxo

Verna Vogel said...

Hello "Unknown" :) Thanks for your comment. I think I will never completely turn my back on the fibre aspect of my work, I just love the tactile sense of it too much!

Happy New Year!